The League of Friends funded many enhancements to the new hospital and continues to support the health and wellbeing of patients in the local community through a variety of initiatives.
Ongoing projects funded by the League include:
- Research into stroke rehabilitation to provide an evidence base upon which future best practice can be developed
- Tai Chi and Yoga classes.
Other items supported by the League have included:
- Tilt-in-space shower chair
- WiFi for patients and visitors
- Expressive Movement Therapy for patients (innovative research unique to the hospital)
- Transport bursary for Life After Stroke Club attenders.
- £25,000 donation to the Yeovil Hospital CT Scanner Appeal – vital for anyone who has had a stroke, head or chest injuries, and for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients.
- ‘My Life’ software package enabling patients, visitors and staff to support patients with memory problems.
- In partnership with Age Concern, yoga and movement classes in South Petherton for the local community
- Baby change unit for the hospital’s ground floor
- Additional ultrasonic bladder scanner.
- 5 pressure mattresses
- Tilting shower space chair
- Bariatric chair
- Stroke rehabilitation equipment including a Wii and an iPad for patient use.
Each year we run Christmas coffee mornings and participate in the hospital’s annual fete. In 2017 we hosted a lively public meeting about Somerset’s draft Sustainability and Transformation Plan for health and social care. We are now working closely with the South Petherton Community Partnership to support local health and wellbeing.
Registered Charity no. 297082